Painters prepare and apply paints and coatings, wallcoverings, stains and varnishes to interior and exterior surfaces.
Commercial/residential painter duties include:
- Estimate the quantities needed for surfaces
- Remove old coatings by stripping the surface with solvents, heat, sanding, wire brushing
- Prepare the surface by cleaning, filling nail holes and defects, and sand rough spots.
- Apply primers and undercoats or sizes prior to wall coverings
- Match colours by using premixed paints or by mixing using tinting colourants.
- Use brushes, rollers, and spray guns to apply paints and clear coatings.
- Apply faux finishes
- Apply wallpaper, commercial vinyl, natural and synthetic fabrics.
- Stain and antique wood products and apply clear finishes
Industrial Coating Applicator duties include:
- Identify surface conditions in steel and other metal surfaces
- Prepare surfaces using grinders, hand tools, and sandblasting equipment
- Apply coatings using spray systems such as electrostatic, plural, conventional and airless.
- Read and understand data sheet and specifications
- Use testing equipment to determine surface compatibility, coating thickness, environmental conditions, coating durability
- Apply intumescent coatings
- Use coating and preparation guides such as SSPC SP and PA
Glaziers cut and install glass and aluminum systems for commercial, residential and automotive applications.
Some duties of Glaziers include:
- Read and interpret drawings and specifications to determine the materials required, location of framing and procedures for installation.
- Measure openings for size and shape, mark and cut glass to fit, secure the glass in place weatherproof joints and assemble and install aluminum frames
- Install, fabricate and attach architectural metals in commercial and residential buildings
- Assemble part of pre-fabricated glass units such as revolving doors, display cases, plate glass, shower doors, store fronts, automatic doors, sky lights, sloped glazing, curtain wall, barrel vaults, solariums, and other support structures.
- Replace safety glass, windows, windshields, and glass in furniture and other products
Glassworkers work in fabrication shops and are involved in the production, storage and distribution of a variety of glass and architectural metal products.
Some duties of glassworkers include:
- Cutting of glass as per specifications
- Production of sealed units
- Production of sash, and frames for commercial and residential purposes
- Distribution of finished product
- Warehousing of products
- Windshield installation
Floor Layers install, repair and replace resilient floor covering materials such as underlay, carpet, vinyl sheet goods and resilient tiles
Some duties of Floor layers include:
- Inspect and prepare subfloors for covering
- Determine where to place seams and joints
- Measure and cut floor coverings
- Install underlay for carpet
- Join carpet pieces together
- Install carpets
- Stretch carpet and fasten in place using smooth edge or by gluing
- Install sheet good and resilient tile using adhesive
- Match and insert pieces into damaged area