The Brotherhood of Painters and Decorators of America was organized formally in 1887.
Within a year, the union boasted a membership of over 7,000 tradesman and more than 100 local unions.
Over the course of our history there have been several changes to our name and structure. Now officially known as the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades.
Local 177 of the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades was formed in 1993 to better serve the interests of our membership, by combining our founding Locals. Local 583 Calgary Painters (Chartered 1906), Local 1016 Edmonton Painters and Glaziers (Chartered 1904) and Local 1725 Calgary Glaziers (Chartered 1950).
The IUPAT has represented painters and allied trades in the province of Alberta for more than 100 years.